Sunday 19 February 2012

Roast Lamb and Vegetables

Sunday dinner have always meant roast meat and roast vegetables. I guess it is the idea of Sunday dinner that came from my childhood in the 1960s. Both my parents were are excellent cooks and contributed to the family meal. Mom would cook the roast and Dad would come by later to use the pan drippings to make a baked rice dish. As I child, I always looked forward to Sunday dinners.  

Today's Sunday dinner is roast lamb. I trimmed off most of the fat before I seasoned it with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.  


And then I went to work making a marinade for the lamb.  The zest of one lemon, the juice of one lemon, dried rosemary, 3 cloves of minced garlic, 2 tablespoons of port.





























And for the roast vegetables chop 3 red potatoes, 1 sweet potatoes, 1 large white onion, a handful of shallots. Season with sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper and dried rosemary.




































Roast the vegetables in a 400 degree F oven until tender to the fork. Be sure to give them a toss now and then. Cook the lamb in a 400 degree F oven for the first 20 minutes.  Lower the temperature to 350 degrees F and finish roasting to your desired doneness. Lamb should be between 170-175 degrees F when tested.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Recipe Review: Gluten-Free Bagels

While at the library this weekend, I came across a copy of Paleo Cooking from Elana's Pantry cookbook of gluten-free, grain-free, dair...